Apr 06 2010

IWM and Shadow Server Project Report: Shadows in the Clouds

The researchers at InfoWar Monitor and Shadow Server have released a great research paper that adds to the Ghostnet report from last year. TDV gets a plug in the report for our chat with lost33.

8 Responses to “IWM and Shadow Server Project Report: Shadows in the Clouds”

1. Jaimon Josephon 07 Apr 2010 at 2:24 am

Respected Sir,
    Congratulations on getting quoted in the ShadowServer report. I’m an Indian journalist based in New Delhi. The strange thing is I’m sure every country is spying in exactly the same way. Why single China out, everyone wants state secrets. The other thing that’s bugging me – why does it take a Canadian team to find this. India is IT Savvy, so are Russia, Japan, Korea, Israel. But they’ve never made any noise about China. Why the Americans and Canadians. But that’s just me. I’m fascinated by the detective work involved in cyber security and confess I know nothing about it. WOuld be grateful for any guidance I could get – I like to cover cybe crime stories. Do drop in a mail or call sometime. I’d be very grateful. I’m subscribed to your blog. Can I follow you on Linked in or any other networking site?
    Jaimon Joseph
    Ph: +91-9899692342

2. jumperon 07 Apr 2010 at 9:29 am

Great questions.

Why single China out? Because there is news about it. Frequently. When was the last time Xinhua reported that Indian hackers compromised the PRC government?

Why does it take a Canadian team to find this? IWM and Shadow Server have the time and resources to spend on it and it is in their interest to publish the report. I’m sure there are groups in other countries looking at this sort of thing but they may not be in a position to make their work public.

Thanks for stopping by.

3. Agamemnonon 09 Apr 2010 at 2:36 pm

This was actually a pretty good read…thumbs up on the honorable mention…I’m passing this around to a few select cohorts…

4. jumperon 09 Apr 2010 at 3:58 pm

I thought it was a great read as was the Ghostnet report. I would love to work on projects like that.

5. BeatUpPrideon 15 Apr 2010 at 7:14 am

Great read!

Thanks for posting the link!

As I know, lots of people wants to do research on related topics. As Jumper pointed out, either they are lack of fund or the resources (connections in China, etc) to do a research in such topics.

Also, one of the important elements for a successful investigation is the full support or cooperation from the victims. From this article, I can feel that the authors and the victims have established a trust relationship. I don’t think anyone can do that easily.

Again, thanks for the post!

6. BeatUpPrideon 15 Apr 2010 at 8:24 am

By the way, I am experiencing a severe delay each time I try to access a Chinese web site recently…..is that only me?

7. CBRP1R8on 20 Apr 2010 at 4:25 pm

Pulled from Darknet UK today…beware the china botnet… :D

8. BeatUpPrideon 21 Apr 2010 at 1:03 am

7 million!!!@_@

Considering the “power” ones can have by controlling those 7 million machines, the externalities caused by those PCs running pirated Windows OS hugely outcome the negative impact to Microsoft’s revenue.