Feb 19 2010

Shanghai Jiaotong named as a source in Google compromise

Published by at 11:59 am under China internet,US attacks

Loyal readers of TDV may remember Heike’s post about Peng Yinan, aka Coolswallow of Javaphile. According to this NY Times article, the school that Yinan has occasionally taught at was discovered to have been involved in the Google compromise revealed last month. At this point, it is only the IP addresses that seem to link the school to the compromise but it is an interesting coincdence that one of the most prolific Chinese hackers has a close connection to the school.

There are many possibilities for SJTU’s IP addresses being involved in the incident. Any assessments made about SJTU’s involvement at this point would be just a guess.

19 Responses to “Shanghai Jiaotong named as a source in Google compromise”

1. KbKhanon 19 Feb 2010 at 3:07 pm

Just hit infosec.sjtu.edu.cn and they appear to have taken down most of the content since the last time I looked at it. Never saw Peng Yinan on the faculty list and have since heard that he is no longer there. Anybody hear different?

2. jumperon 19 Feb 2010 at 4:54 pm

@kbkhan – you know more than I do about it. Hopefully Heike will chime in at some point – I think this might interest him.

3. gao yulongon 19 Feb 2010 at 9:13 pm

…..So, now we have a Public Security Bureau information security consultant, who is a senior hacker, credits on his flash animation of Coolswallow and is an expert on Buddhism. Jumper, where was Heike going with that thought….I never saw where he completed that connection? Did I miss it back in 07?

4. gao yulongon 21 Feb 2010 at 9:25 am

Jumper many in the media are calling the Aurora project a “watershed” moment in cybersecurity. Is the china/google event really that far reaching?

5. jumperon 21 Feb 2010 at 9:16 pm

@gao_yulong

Perhaps it is. Not because the events that transpired are new or unique but because it is the first time that something like this has been so widely reported.

There is a better chance that the headlines will just fade away and this whole thing will be forgotten. If Google doesn’t follow-through and continues to provide censored search in China, a handful of caring users will stop using google but most people won’t care. I would be surprised if this results in any significant and useful change from government or industry. Just a guess though. It would be nice to hear from Heike on this.

6. Rex Carmelon 22 Feb 2010 at 10:25 am

I have enjoyed this blog often in the past and now it seems that the NYTimes does as well since they mentioned the blog owner in their article on this incident:

7. heiheion 22 Feb 2010 at 3:33 pm

this accusation is totally outdated.you are just pan fry the cold rice. dont you have something good to do?

8. gao yulongon 22 Feb 2010 at 7:34 pm

heihei, when you go to the chinese restaruant….Why do they always as you , if you want to take the left-overs home? hehehe

9. Security Nerdon 23 Feb 2010 at 6:13 am

You all probably already know this but…
    “2010 ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest (ICPC) world champions. Sponsored by IBM, the competition took place at Harbin Engineering University in Harbin, China.”

10. gao yulongon 23 Feb 2010 at 7:31 am

Has anyone heard anything more about the media is getting closer to giving a name….to the 30 something security person believed to be the father of the malware in Operation Aurora
    .He is under the microscope. Any guesses whom that may be in the media spotlight? chinese netcitizens are really having fun with all the attention given to the two schools……seems the story is coming to life again on both sides of the issue.

11. cerison 23 Feb 2010 at 8:56 pm

Wasn’t there another school called the Lanxiang Vocational School. The Shanghai school surprised me because I lived there in my childhood. It is so poor. I don’t think think they will be able to hack Google.com.

12. Adrienon 23 Feb 2010 at 10:06 pm

LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!

I have to tell you that I know this guy.
    He’s really nothing …
    He just like others to know that he’s so cool
    like hacking the white house site with thousands of others
    but nothing more … nothing technical, he’s just proud and feel cool

The organisation you mentioned before, Pneuma…
    Well, I have to tell you that 80% of the members have never written a line of program …
    I think I’ll tell them this blog to make some fun.

But still, you can continue make up your stories
    Really great entertainment for us

13. Google hackers - Techlogon 24 Feb 2010 at 6:06 am

[...] Shanghai Jiaotong named as a source in Google compromise [...]

14. gao yulongon 24 Feb 2010 at 7:21 am

Even though the Chairman of the Board Ron Lanxian has repeadtedly denined claims of his school in Jinan was involved. They do teach classes in computing. Looking at their websie Jumper you can see that since 2006/2007 Lanxiang vocational school has made available classes for free to both troops and retired soldiers. I read wheres the TV station in Shandong mentioned that the vocational school in Jinan has the first community based armed unit as well. What do you think?

15. jumperon 24 Feb 2010 at 10:29 am

@adrien – I guess that’s why he likes to be called ‘coolswallow’.

I’m glad we could provide some great entertainment for you!

We’d probably entertain a lot more people if we actually posted the kapa girl video since about 80% of our visitors are looking for it. The other 19% are looking for CN Girl Security Team pics and the final 1% are you and gao yulong.

16. jumperon 24 Feb 2010 at 10:33 am

@gao_yulong -

I personally wouldn’t read too much into the connection between Jinan and training for PLA/veterans. But that’s just how I roll…

17. CBRP1R8on 24 Feb 2010 at 5:57 pm

and Me…. :D

18. Vladimiron 25 Feb 2010 at 5:39 pm

Hi, just dropping some lines here to make it clear that what Peng Yinan talked at the very moment of this photo taken was, according to the article that you mentioned,
    - one: decision of founding his own company
    - two: the major advantages for entrepreneurs comparing to choosing of career.
    - three: indispensable factors and modelings for succeeding at flotation in our time.
    You wrote “he was there to assist these young students in gaining employment in the information security industry”. Broadly equal but subtly different…

19. Mr.Indiaon 19 Mar 2010 at 4:27 am

Chinese are basically of cheating nature.