Jan 16 2010

Freedom of Speech? Not according to Baidu.

Published by at 10:00 am under Censorship,China internet

One of the Chinese blogs I read had a post about this Baidu dictionary reference.

Loosely translated: Freedom of Speech – basically not in China. It gives a link to a board where it may have picked up this definition. The author, greysign, laments that there are rampant lawless anti-party elements slandering China. Is it really slander to say that there isn’t freedom of speech in China?

6 Responses to “Freedom of Speech? Not according to Baidu.”

1. BeatUpPrideon 17 Jan 2010 at 8:19 pm

LoL! I actually tried this in dict.baidu.com but…..of course.

2. doesnt_matteron 27 Jan 2010 at 9:21 pm

Posts like this are why I think chinese culture and history and maybe even chinese language along with muslim studies should be taught starting in elementary school. A westerner might ask “is it really slander to say that there isn’t freedom of speech in China?” whereas an ordinary common chinese might say “Is it really so unwise to stick to an ethical standard of speech?”

The link you quoted is satire, you should make that distinction in your post.

3. jumperon 02 Feb 2010 at 12:19 am

@doesnt_matter – One of the reasons this blog exists is to explore the more unique aspects of China with regard to hackers, security and related subjects like censorship. Heike and I are not Chinese and we will always write with a western perspective so I think the question is pretty reasonable as stated. Objectivity is very important however and your point is well taken and well stated.

It isn’t satire by the way. It is about an amusing and somewhat ironic mistake. I don’t think any distinction (beyond the “lolz” tag) needs to be made.

This blog wouldn’t be very interesting if we only wrote about the things that were the same in China as in the west. It is the differences that interest people. If there were any Chinese hackers that wrote English language blogs about PRC hacking and censorship, Heike and I would be out of business.

Thanks again for your unique perspective. Your comments are always welcome.

4. doesnt_matteron 02 Feb 2010 at 12:56 am

There is a lolz tag on that post? where?

5. curious ?on 09 Feb 2010 at 11:30 pm

how do you read a Chinese blog ?

I am sick of copying and pasting links into google translate.

6. jumperon 10 Feb 2010 at 9:55 pm

You might try google reader. It can automatically xlate your blog feeds if you want. You can also use a bookmarklet to xlate websites with a single click.