Aug 10 2009

Shanghai License Auction Pwn@ge

Published by at 11:12 pm under China internet,Other attacks

UPDATED: At bottom

An English language news website in Shanghai reported that a denial of service attack had been launched on the site of the Shanghai license auction system on July 22. About 8000 people were hoping to get licenses for their newly purchased cars but were unable to reach the site due to the attack. The hopefuls were able to bid again the following week.

An August 11th article indicates that the attacker, 22 year-old Zhou was arrested after an intense investigation by the Public Security Bureau. The police reported that the denial of service attack involved thousands of “meat chickens”, Chinese slang for bots or zombie computers. One more time – Chinese hackers: don’t hack inside China…

Meat Chicken is slang for bot or zombie computer

Meat Chicken is slang for bot or zombie computer

UPDATE: Oh my, just a junior-high student and to top it off, Yinghacker totally smacks down the kid’s hacking skills.  Calls them “something an amateur could learn in two weeks“.  Bonus, ignore what I said before, I think Yinghacker is a female.   Perhaps I’ll post a couple of pictures of her later.

8 Responses to “Shanghai License Auction Pwn@ge”

1. blackd0ton 12 Aug 2009 at 4:46 am

Seems the DDoS attacks in China are getting more popular amongst script kiddies. Few days ago I’ve heard about the situation of some chinese guy contacting the chinese customer service who said that if they don’t pay him 300RMB he will launch a DDoS attack on their website, which is pretty funny because 300RMB is only around 50$.
    The DDoS didn’t last long as he was doing it only from 20-40 ips which could be easily blocked.

2. Heikeon 12 Aug 2009 at 7:59 am

It is becoming a real annoyance to small business and the government. While one attack here and there isn’t a huge problem, hundreds of them start to add up.

One target I’ve seen them go after again and again is online game startups in China. I would guess that for a majority of industries, online access isn’t essential but for the gaming community it is absolutely necessary.

3. CBRP1R8on 12 Aug 2009 at 11:52 am

They they just had a huge deal over Gold farming and selling in China (laws passed wise)….WoW pretty much was shut down for a few weeks when access .cn was cutoff from what I read….this will defintely cause .cn to take a big hit in the RMT world for massive gaming, but others will pick up the slack like Korea…i’m sure they’ll make it turn to profit for them with that big gap opened up on the RMT front by .cn bailing out…

4. Heikeon 12 Aug 2009 at 1:34 pm

Hate to be lazy but do you have a link for the new laws. One of the other things I’m kinda interested in is any new legislation involving the internet. Plus, virtual property is a huge revenue source for Chinese hackers. I’d be really interested in looking over what they passed. Thanks!

5. jumperon 12 Aug 2009 at 4:43 pm

The new law only restricts domestic trading in virtual items for real currency. It does not restrict a person or group’s ability to sell virtual items to people outside of the PRC.

6. Heikeon 12 Aug 2009 at 5:46 pm

I remember something about the virtual currency affecting the RMB. Do I remember that correctly?

7. blackd0ton 14 Aug 2009 at 1:01 am

Yeah, but I’ve heard to doesn’t concern so-popluar “gold farming” in games like many news sites stated. I’ve heard from my chinese friends that this regulation was mostly targetted at QQ coins, which are virtual currency for which, you can buy real goods and they were a subject to trades on online auctions.
    Tencent company just wanted to stop people selling off the coins to each other for real money.

8. Heikeon 14 Aug 2009 at 5:32 am

That’s right, it was the QQ coins. Amazing that virtual money could start to have an impact on the national currency.