Aug 22 2009
Running through the headlines this morning at PLA Daily and saw an article concerning a CNN poll that has angered Chinese netizens. The survey asked if Ma Ying-jeou, Taiwan’s current president, should step down over his administration’s handling of typhoon Morakot. Over 80% of the people responding felt that he should. This poll, which has now been pulled by CNN, ran in the Taiwanese media but has since carried over into mainland forums sparking outrage.
Comments in a blog at ifeng.com, which has been viewed 22,473 times and received 106 comments, summarizes the feeling of mainland Chinese netizens:
- Mainland China and Taiwan already have a difficult situation, I hope that Ma Ying-jeou can weather this crisis and continue his great undertaking of peaceful reunification
- Isn’t there a saying about not being “too CNN”!
- This diaster is all brought about by so-called democratic elections. The DPP uses lawyers to rule the country and the Guomindang uses academics to rule the country, they are both horrible. Western elections aren’t suitable to Easterners, they cause social unrest! There isn’t anything beneficial for the people, just a bunch of thieves!!
- The US is afraid of the daily expansion in the harmonious development between the mainland and Taiwan so they increasingly exaggerate these dishonest reports! CNN is no longer viewed as a celebrated media source to the Chinese people. To hell with Uncle Sam!
- Don’t be too CNN
- It is because Ma Ying-jeou’s mainland policy scares CNN, they are afraid China knows what it is doing, they are afraid of reunification
- Drive the American imperialists out of China
- I first saw the CNN report on TV and a Washington Post poll that said 82% wanted Ma Ying-jeou to step down. My first reaction was that this was a US dirty trick to oppose Ma Ying-jeou’s mainland policy. In the evening, there were a lot of different points of view from different parties that came to the same conclusion, these reports had the same bias as the ones from 14 March and 5 June.
They just go on like that for 106 comments and remember, this is only from one website. Here is a Google translation if you want to skim through the rest of the comments.
3 Responses to “CNN creates Chinese cyber firestorm…again”