Apr 30 2009

Mr. Tim Thomas at Dartmouth

Published by at 4:06 am under Uncategorized,US attacks

UPDATE:  The author of this article makes a slight mistake on the title of Tim’s book calling it, Fighting the Virtual Dragon.  The title is Decoding the Virtual Dragon.

Mr. Thomas has done extensive research into PLA cyber warfare and is the best in the business on PRC strategy.

Understanding China’s strategic approach to cyber warfare is essential to defending the United States from hackers, Timothy Thomas, an analyst at the Foreign Military Studies Office at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas, said in a lecture on Tuesday in the Haldeman Center. The anonymous nature of cyber attacks often complicates cyber defense, Thomas said in the lecture.

Dartmouth lecture on cyber warfare

18 Responses to “Mr. Tim Thomas at Dartmouth”

1. jumperon 30 Apr 2009 at 7:16 am

“Thomas recently published ‘Fighting the Virtual Dragon,’ a compilation of five Chinese books on strategy.” -

Heike – do you happen to know any details about this book? It isn’t on worldcat.org yet.

2. every1s0bviouson 30 Apr 2009 at 11:49 am

We don’t need to be doing what the Chinese are doing. China needs to stop what they are doing and get their act together, following our successful model of nation building. (Okay, okay, we have faults… but the principles are sound.)

‘The best defense is a good offense’… Sun Tzu.

But, what is even better then that:

‘The best offense is a good defense.’ (anonymous loser who uses crazy tactics)

Yin yang and all that, but totally true.

3. Heikeon 30 Apr 2009 at 12:41 pm

Jumper,

That was actually suppose to be “Decoding the Virtual Dragon.” I can get you a copy of the book if you don’t already have one.

4. Heikeon 30 Apr 2009 at 12:47 pm

every1s0bvious,

Mr. T’s reference isn’t about adopting Chinese methods, just understanding them.

His lecture on strategic thinking is fantastic and offers a very different way of viewing the world (through a Chinese lens).

Really good stuff.

5. every1s0bviouson 30 Apr 2009 at 1:19 pm

Thanks, man… I thought he was saying that.

I need to pick up your book soon.

Honestly, having been there and met a lot of the players, I think they are good people… they just get misdirected sometimes. :)

Hold on… I will send you my real email.

I know I said I wouldn’t post here again, but I am a damned liar. ;)

6. jumperon 30 Apr 2009 at 1:30 pm

I was able to find a copy of “decoding” at the library. Thanks for the clarification.

7. BeatUpPrideon 30 Apr 2009 at 8:13 pm

I always have lots of confusions and questions:

How much the Chinese gov involved in Cyber attacks originated from China?

Cyber warfare: how one can differentiate the attacks from Civilians in China, well from the “Chinese gov sponsored” attacks?

I was told that there are lots of compromised servers in China that control by people from Russia and Eastern block of Europe. When they “generate traffic”, it seems that the Chinese are attacking…

Anyway, my observation is that, the one that should get afraid of their Cyber infrastructure being attacked in the future Cyber warfare is China, not US. The IT infrastructure in China is much younger than the US has and from top to the bottom, there are tons of vulnerabilities all over the place…. let alone the expertie and the professionals in this field.

8. Heikeon 01 May 2009 at 3:24 am

BeatUpPride,

Spot on, no confusion in ya. You also managed to ask all the, “everyone look at your shoes questions.” The ones nobody can answer, or only vaguely.

You final two observations are on the money. The Chinese not only need to worry about outside attack, internals are also on the rise.

9. Heikeon 01 May 2009 at 3:28 am

every1s0bvious,

Oh, we tolerate liars here. :)

I’ll send you link for a free download of the book. We have to keep our frequent commenters happy. :)

10. CBRP1R8on 01 May 2009 at 7:47 am

I wouldn’t mind a read of that either, if you post it… :D

11. Heikeon 01 May 2009 at 11:25 am

CBRP1R8,

Just drop me an e-mail and I’d be happy to send you the link. :)

12. gao yulongon 01 May 2009 at 5:50 pm

I like Mr. Thomas discussion and thoughts…..
    Thomas said. Even when the country of origin is known, as with many attacks originating from China, it is impossible to determine whether the attacker was acting independently or in service of the country’s government.
    I think to solve this part of the equation you need to talk face to face with the hackers not just in virtual space. Develope a real time relationship with them would shed alot light on their actions, contacts and methods.
    Join their group, gain their trust and sit back and learn……..
    just a thought.
    It was from one of your post I have developed a relationship with a high profile hacker/blogger. I learned lot from it…….you site is a clearing house for so many great tips and leads, find it…well, invaluable

13. every1s0bviouson 03 May 2009 at 11:22 am

I know a lot of the guys there. They are just following orders and trying to do the best they can as far as they can see. The real issue is that countries like China need to follow the US more from the heart and less from the mind. Nobody is asking for anyone to give up anything other then their fear. China needs to follow the US in principles. Then, the dragon will be ‘down to earth’.

14. CBRP1R8on 04 May 2009 at 11:18 am

CBRP1R8,

Just drop me an e-mail and I’d be happy to send you the link. :)

Please send to cbrp1r8 (a t ) hotmail (d o t ) com

Thanks Heike..

15. Heikeon 05 May 2009 at 1:42 pm

CBRP1R98,

Should be in your mail.

16. [...] Mr. Tim Thomas at Dartmouth [...]

17. Caton 08 Sep 2009 at 3:10 pm

Hey, I just came across your site through Googling for Timothy Thomas. I don’t spose you could send me a link for his book? I can’t find it anywhere.

Also, do you know anything about his forthcoming publication, The Dragon’s Quantum Leap?

Thanks!

18. Heikeon 09 Sep 2009 at 4:56 am

Cat,

The book is not available to the general public but if you send me an e-mail, I might be able to get you a copy.

Mr. T. has a book titled Dragon bytes but nothing out called Quantum Leap.