Jun 18 2008
Dear Chinese hacker master,
Sadly, I have all these compromised computers just laying around the place and don’t know what do with them, could you please help?!?
- Confucius…sed amateur
No need to be embarrassed, we have all experienced this dilemma at one time or another. Let me offer a few simple solutions to this common problem:
- Steal virtual property from the compromised computer. Take their game account ID, QQ number and Q money.
- Steal real property from the compromised computer. Real property can consist of bank accounts or online stock speculator account numbers. There are many types of trojans designed specifically for getting the account numbers of online stock speculators.
- Steal people’s private data. Remember, just like the Edison Chen photo scandal, regular people can be extorted too if you threaten to release their explicit photos on the internet. Use their private information that could be harmful to blackmail them. If you steal commercial data such as financial reports and personnel records it can be used for your illegal benefit. Also, you can attempt to control their webcam in order to fill the desires of peeping toms.
- Use the victim’s connections to get illegal benefits. Perhaps you think your QQ number is insignificant, you don’t have QQ 秀 (unclear) or QQ money. Not so, your friends QQ numbers, your e-mail contacts and cellphone contacts are all targets for the attacker. The attacker can fake your identity to carry out all manner of illegal activity. Everyone’s personal connections have commercial worth. The most common example of this is the 12950 service that used groups of QQ numbers to send out trash/spam? information to steal money or the MSN virus that automatically sent out information to your friends to defraud them. NOTE: the 12590 service could refer to this: Optional service Game treasure box makes the mobile into a game machine. A mobile QQ can go anywhere, 12586 online entertainment (that has many strange old friends), 12590 interactive message service (that has various voice monsters), CRBT and MMS (that are full of fun, personalized ring tones and pictures that can be downloaded anytime)……your enjoyment with these features is endless!
- Plant rogue software on the compromised computer. This will make it automatically click online advertising for profit. This can really effect your online experience as I suspect everyone hates online pop-up ads. After the attacker controls a lot of compromised computers, they can force out ads and obtain profits from the ad owners. The number one reason for rogue software flooding is that many companies purchase rogue software developers’ advertisements. Other attackers use the rear platform? to covertly click on advertisements in order to gain profits. This causes the ad owner to waste money through invalid clicks.
- Use the compromised computer as a springboard (proxy server) to attack other computers. Any type of hacker attack can leave behind traces and in order to better conceal yourself, it is necessary to use many proxy jumps. The compromised computers can act as an agent and a scapegoat. The attacker can disseminate even more trojans and think of your computer as a downloading station. It is a possibility that network speed and performance will be improved with proxy servers.
- The compromised computer is the foot soldier to launch DDOS attacks. DDOS attacks can earn money for internet gangs or cyberwarfare (those who engage in it) as some people will hire these internet goons who initiate conflicts. Internet gang members can carry out an attack directly against their target and then blackmail the victim. Compromised computers are a chess piece for internet gangs and DDOS attacks have become a poisonous cancer for the internet.
Yep, a little fun in the beginning with this post (I made it up) but the rest is a real list of uses for compromised computers put out by Chinese hackers.
I swear I heard the sound of people flipping their webcams towards the ceiling after reading number 3.
UPDATE: Hat-Tip to Therese who sets me straight on the definition of QQ 秀:
QQ 秀 == QQ “Show”
It’s one of the things that you can spend QQB on. You purchase outfits and accessories to dress up your little avatar. It’s like putting on a show. Therese also provides a Flickr link to “patriotism QQ-Show.”
6 Responses to “Dear Chinese hacker master, I have a question…”