May 11 2008

Completed…every nation in the world attacked by Chinese hackers

Published by at 6:45 pm under Uncategorized

Consulted a map, and it looks like with addition of Belgium, every nation on the planet has been a victim of Chinese hackers. While still not fully confirmed, Chinese hacker sites are starting to post phrases like:

“Take that ya bunch of waffle lovers!!”

No…not really.

This really:

Justice minister Jo Vandeurzen is reported to have claimed that the Federal Government had been targeted by Chinese hackers, backing up a separate statement by Belgium’s foreign affairs minister, Karel De Grucht that his ministry had been hit by espionage in recent weeks.

More here…

6 Responses to “Completed…every nation in the world attacked by Chinese hackers”

1. Security4allon 12 May 2008 at 6:36 pm

It’s Karel De Gucht. I should have sent you my translation from the Belgian newspapers two weeks ago. I simply forgot. Mea culpa. After some time, english media began picking up on it.

As always, Belgium is waking up a year later then all the other countries. *sigh*

With the European Union and NATO HQ being located in Brussels, why shouldn’t we have been targeted like France or Germany? We’re just bad in detecting it.

At least, they might finally realize now we need a qualified CERT. Let’s hope it will see the daylight in the next year.

2. Heikeon 12 May 2008 at 8:46 pm

No worries, appreciate you taking the time to stop by and leave us a comment.

Also, I am not sure how good other countries are at detecting it either…a lot of this seems to be discovered after the fact.

3. Security4allon 13 May 2008 at 7:00 pm

I’m not Karel. That’s a minister in Belgium and they misspelled his name. And a lot of the translations were a bit off. Not the translation itself, but every time the story gets retold/republished, it changes a little bit. So accuracy may vary. Funny really.

I forgot to mention, Belgium might get a cyberattack monitoring cell

Let’s wait and see.

4. Heikeon 14 May 2008 at 1:35 pm

So sorry, I am an idiot!!! Pardon my mistake very embarrassing. Since I run the blog, I may just delete that stupid comment of mine…sigh.

5. Security4allon 14 May 2008 at 7:29 pm

Don’t worry. No offense taken. ;-)

Not directly .cn related but NATO will setup a cyberdefence center in Estonia

6. Heikeon 14 May 2008 at 9:55 pm

You are very kind for forgiving my lack of knowledge and it is a pleasure to have you post on the website. Plus, it always great to have someone with so much information. Please drop an e-mail when you post something, we would be happy to link to it.